Summer doesn’t slow down for Suntree UMC. In fact, the opposite is true. While many people travel, go on vacation, visit family, and hit the lake, the church takes it up a notch when it comes to ministry. We’ve already done: Mission trips to the Keys and the Panhandle, Music-Art-Drama & Dance (MADD) Camp, Brevard
Mission Week, and Suntree Stars and Stripes BBQ / Concert. Not to mention Student Life Youth camp is coming up next week. It’s only mid July! This week we just finished To Mars and Beyond VBS!
I love VBS! I love the excitement that it generates in our church and community. I love the passion that builds in my own heart leading up to it. I love the fun and craziness and chaos that comes along with the week of VBS.
Here are some of my favorite things about VBS
1. The joy and laughter of a kid racing into the building from their parent’s car.
2. Adults becoming kids again and loving crafts as much as the kids.
3. The look of wonder when a child “gets it” during Bible study.
4. The chaos of the first day.
5. The timid first-time volunteer who shines like a star in the universe as they see the wonder of the kids learning about the Bible.
6. The kindergarten boy who breaks every rule in the book yet melts your heart when he hugs you good-bye.
7. Total exhaustion resulting from a day that made a difference.
8. The chance to connect with our community!
9. The chance to demonstrate the love of Christ, “By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another” (John 13:35).
10. VBS fulfills The Great Commission! Evangelism is not just something missionaries do. Nor is it something we do “out there.” Jesus said all of us are to be making disciples (Matt. 28:18-20)!
Each time we connect with a new family, we develop a better picture of what our community is really like. VBS helps us to better understand how to minister to our neighbors.
So thank you for an amazing VBS week! We appreciate our Adult and Youth volunteers so much and we couldn’t do it without them!
Director of Children’s Ministry